New Zealand Federation of Historical Societies Inc NZFHS logo
Historic images
 
Find us on Facebook

HUNTERVILLE & DISTRICT SETTLERS MUSEUM

Located in the old court house which was built in 1895. Situated on a site on State Highway 1, the complex contains a small collection of local buildings including a barn, blacksmith room and the Roper Cottage.

The 600 sq.ft. Roper Cottage was the home of John Roper (Batch). He lived on 77 acres and hand-milked 40 cows. The cottage was given to Hunterville Museum about 1987 by Bruce Lourie, who owned the block of land where it was situated. The farm is now owned by Alan Bruce, on Aldworth Road. The cottage was shifted to the museum site at the beginning of February 1989 after funds were raised to cover the cost of the move. It was restored by museum volunteers.

Rail had a significant influence on development of the town and is a focus of the museum. Rail arrived early in Hunterville. Rangitikei was purchased by Donald McLean in 1849, and the town of Hunterville was surveyed in 1884. Rail arrived just three years later in 1887, and by 1889 went as far north as Mangaonoho on the Wellington-New Plymouth line. Railed reached Mangaweka in 1902.

The museum includes displays of tools and farming equipment from days gone by, together with a collection reflecting on the past rural life.

Open: Friday 2pm - 4pm or by appointment.


Hunterville & District Settlers Museum
Milne Street (SH1)
Hunterville

Ph: 06 322 8063

 

Hunterville & District Settlers Museum
Roper Cottage
Hunterville Museum display
Early days of rail at Hunterville
© 2008-2017 New Zealand Federation of Historical Societies Inc   |   Home    |   Site: Dash Design